Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chapter 7


I watched as Han Geng, snapped out of his state of shock. He bowed a little and greeted me.

“Han Kyung-imnida. Pangapseumnida,” he said.

“So where are you from, nuna?” Dong Hae asked. “You are older than us, aren’t you?” he asked.

“She looks like our age, Dong Hae,” Ki Bum said. “How old are you, Sierra?”

“I’m almost 22,” I smiled.

“Almost?” Ee Teuk asked. “So when’s your birthday?”

“December,” I replied.

“Yah! I’m older than you,” Hee Chul exclaimed.

“So am I,” Ee Teuk said.

“Then I guess the rest of us will have to call you nuna,” Kang In said.

“You haven’t answered my question, nuna,” Dong Hae waved at me.

“What was it?” I asked him.

“Where are you from?”

“The last place I lived in was China. I’m originally from Malaysia.”

“Yah! Han Kyung, China! Did you hear?” Eun Hyuk exclaimed.

“Which part?” Ryeo Wook asked.

“I studied for 5 years in Beijing.”

“Yah! Beijing!” Sung Min exclaimed. “Aren’t you from Beijing too?” he turned to look at Han Geng.

“I’m going to the loo,” Han Geng mumbled and walked out.

“What’s up with him?” Kang In remarked and the rest of them just shrugged.

“Let’s get to work,” I said. “Shin Dong,” I waved him over.

“Yes?’ he asked me.

“I’ll need your help since I’m not familiar with the choreography yet. Bum Su oppa said that you were the one I should refer to.”

“He did?” Shin Dong beamed. “Okay.”

One hour into our training, Han Geng reappeared.

“That was a long toilet break you took,” Sung Min commented.

“I wasn’t feeling well,” Han Geng said.

“Do you want to see a doctor?” Ee Teuk asked him.

“I’m fine,” he said. “Let’s do this.”

We spent another 4 hours perfecting their almost complete routine. They were all accomplished dancers, and Bum Su oppa had pretty much covered everything before his accident. All I had to do was to watch them and make sure they were in sync.

“See you tomorrow, nuna,” Ye Sung smiled as he waved at me.

“Byee…” Hee Chul said as he walked out.

“Bye guys,” I smiled and waved as the rest of them said goodbye and filed out of the studio.

I’d started to pack up the files and CDs when I realized there was someone behind me. I didn’t need to turn around to know it was Han Geng.

“Zui jin hao ma?” he asked me. I turned around to look at him. He didn’t look upset. He actually looked concerned.

“I’m fine,” I replied, and turned around to continue packing.

“Why didn't you tell me that you were coming?” he asked me.

“Xu yao ma?” I asked him. “Do I need to tell you anything when you’ve told me nothing?”

“That’s my fault,” he sighed. “I didn’t think you’d want to know.”

“It was just coincidence that I got a job here. I didn’t even know I would be working for SM until I arrived at the door.”

“I’m not accusing you of anything,” he said.

“You sounded as if I were stalking you. I didn’t even know Super Junior existed until yesterday. And I definitely did not know that you were a member of Super Junior.”

“Dui bu qi,” he said. “I should’ve kept in touch.”

“It’s fine. We’d made a pact to forget each other,” I said dismissively.

“But I have not forgotten,” he said.

“Huh?”

“Did you think I was such a person? That I forgot everything that happened in the past once I had a new life?”

“I didn’t say…”

“You’re implying,” he said.

“Fine. I was.”

“I missed you,” he said.

“I…” I started, then I bit my lip. Should I tell him how I really feel? Wouldn’t it be better to put this behind us now that we had to actually work together?

“You what?” he said.

“Nothing,” I said. “I need to go,” I said as I picked up my bag.

“Wait,” he said, and he grabbed my hand as I was about to walk away.

“Han Geng, or is it Han Kyung now?” I said. “I’m your trainer now. And that was the past. We need to focus on our careers now. I don’t want our past to mess up our futures.”

“Why should it mess up our futures?” he asked me. “Do you know how long I’ve waited for you to appear here, in front of me?”

“I don’t know,” I replied, not looking at him.

“I went back to Beijing a few months back, and I couldn’t find you anywhere.”

“I’d graduated. You forgot?”

“I didn’t.”

“And you thought I’d just stay in Beijing and wait for you?” I asked him.

“I’d hoped.”

“Did you think that I had no life? I had to earn a living you know,” I said sternly.

“Don’t get angry now,” he said softly. “You’ll get wrinkles.”

He hadn’t changed. He still said those little things that he knew would quell my anger. He still knew how to push my buttons. I hated how he had such control over me.

“I really need to go,” I said as I tried to push past him.

“Bie zou,” he said, as he pulled me into his arms and hugged me. I just stayed in his arms, reliving the sense of familiarity, inhaling his scent, taking comfort in his warmth. All those months of missing him; had they come to an end? Could we get back together just like that?

“Han Geng,” I said, as I tried to push him away.

“Wo bu hui zai rang ni zou,” he said as he hugged me tightly.

“It’s pointless,” I said sadly. “There’s no way we can be together.”

“Wei shen me?” he said fiercely. “Why not? Wo bu guan.”

“You can’t ignore it. It’ll be tough. You’re debuting soon. You think the management is gonna love the fact that you have a girlfriend. You think girls are going to get excited about you when you already have a girlfriend.”

“There are 11 others for them to get excited over.”

“And you’d have lost your value to the company. Why would they still need you in the band?”

“Sierra,” he said pleadingly.

“Bie zai shuo le,” I pleaded in return.

“Wo ai ni,” he said, and he pulled me toward him to kiss me. I felt tears stream down my cheeks as he kissed me. I was so frustrated, and yet I missed him so much. I wanted to just hold on to him and never let go.

“Bie ku,” he said as he kissed my tears away.

“How can I not cry? I’m so frustrated. I’m going mad,” I said as the tears continued flowing.

“I’ll find a way,” he said. “I’ll find a way for us to be together.”

“I don’t want us to lose our jobs,” I said.

“We won’t,” he sighed as he pulled me back into his arms and hugged me tightly. “Just promise me you’ll stay with me from now on.”

“But can you promise that you would stay with me?” I asked him.

“Yes, I promise. I’m still the same Han Geng. Believe me,” he said, and he kissed me again.

“Hyung, we’re leaving!” someone yelled as he walked into the studio. It was Si Won.

Han Geng and I jumped apart in shock, but not in time to avoid letting him see us in each other’s arms.

“Erm…” Han Geng mumbled.

“What’s going on?” Si Won asked as he looked back and forth between the two of us.

I looked at Han Geng wearily and wondered how we were going to explain ourselves to Si Won.

Chinese Notes:

Zui jin hao ma?
How have you been?

Xu yao ma?
Is it necessary?

Dui bu qi.
I’m sorry.

Bie zou.
Don’t go.

Wo bu hui zai rang ni zhou.
I will not let you leave anymore.

Wei shen me?
Why?

Wo bu guan.
I don’t care.

Bie zai shuo le.
Don’t say anymore.

Wo ai ni.
I love you.

Bie ku.
Don’t cry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loubna said
i think it will be hard for sierra and hangeng living their love discretely..but it is so cuuuutee !! how are they going to manage?